Monday, December 11, 2023

The Score: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (2018)


With the sequel having been released this year, I wanted to go back and review an animated film that absolutely blew me away back in 2018. This film's impact has been tangible on the 3D animation industry with other studios being emboldened to take much riskier, more experimental, and more artistic visual styles. I rewatched this film to see how I would feel about it now, and I am pleased to say that it is still a film I would strongly recommend. I will this film first and probably review the second film shortly after.


Categories:

  • Impact/Personal History (8): This film really did remind me that super hero films can be great. It also shocked me at how much gravitas and drama could be achieved while being a PG film. Most Marvel films lean into swearing or crass jokes, but this movie felt mature and serious while not needing either of those elements. I still recall seeing this in theaters and it quickly became one of my top ten films.
  • Presentation (10): The presentation of this film is STUNNING. This is it. This is the category that this film absolutely blasts out of the ballpark. I love the way this 3D CG film manages to make everything look like it is happening in the panels of a Marvel Comic book. The small dots used for shading to mimic old magazine printing. The breaking of the screen into panels. The brilliantly dramatic ("HEY") or hilarious ("Why are my thoughts so loud?") use of text inside the screen. All of this pays beautiful tribute to the comic book origin of Spider-Man while also looking gorgeous in this new medium. The story is conveyed excellently. There are also some great set-up and payoff visuals (When Miles falls from the building and the text following his descent reads "AAAHHH" only for later in the film for text to follow him as he rockets up with his swing in a triumphant "WOOOO"). Alongside the stellar animation and style, this film also has extremely good music. I am not going to pretend to be a capable music critic, but I think the songs fit the scenes brilliantly and added a ton of personality to this film. The orchestral score also harkens to older Spider-Man films while still being fresh. Seriously, this film looks and sounds sooooooo good.
  • World Building (6): The world-building of this film seems to be primarily designed to allow for the multiple spider-people all showing up in one place. The setup of their atomic structure being unstable does offer a nice ticking clock that doesn't feel too forced to me. I'm not sure how I feel about the TIME TRAVEL that just gets glossed over (With Gwen getting knocked back in time). Ha. But as far as comic book physics, it even made plenty of sense for the Spider-Men/Women to be the ones pulled into this world since the machine was scanning the OG Peter Parker. Sadly... I am really not a fan of multiverses anymore. I think they create more problems than they are worth.
  • Aesthetic (8): The character designs in this film vary wildly. From extremely good (Doc Ock and Miles) to strange (Fisk) to not-my-favorite (Scorpion, Peter Porker). 
  • Protagonists (8): 
    • Miles’ character arc seems to be insecurity. The idea that he doesn’t belong at the fancy school, so much so that he wants to fail. The fact that he makes his art with his owl silhouette and writes “No Expectations” over it, despite his family claiming he’s worked hard and earned the good things he has in his life. Behind his swagger, he’s someone who is genuinely excited by the interest of others… potentially because he doesn’t think he’s worthy. Attention from girls in particular flusters him (the girl who says she will “miss him” at the start who makes him do a double take, and of course Gwen). This journey is also clearly part of how he interacts with the other spider-people. With the OG Peter, he claims he doesn’t want to be super, and Peter tells him he can’t really go back. The scene where they grill him and he can’t push himself to get back up even when he is down ends in him fleeing the scene. He wants to step up, but he’s also easily convinced that he’s not up to the challenge. Finally, when all the Spider-Gang has left Miles tied up for his own safety… telling him he must make that leap of faith, Miles’ father encourages him, saying he sees a spark in him that belongs to Miles alone. And whatever Miles chooses to pursue, he will shine in. This statement of confidence helps give Miles that final dose of courage to take that leap. While he’s not an overly awkward or insecure character, I would argue that through the film he learns confidence, courage, and a willingness to strive to fill the great expectations thrust upon him as a Spider-Man. 
    • Peter B Parker and Miles have really fun chemistry. Peter helps Miles to find himself and his confidence in his newfound powers (note his teach in “learning to swing” starts to work when he gets frustrated and says “stop listening”. But simultaneously he does teach simple lessons like basic swinging after that, as well as tricks of the trade. “Watch the hands”.) He’s a person who pushes confidence in Miles, but he’s also tough on him. He’s unwilling to just give Miles the go-ahead. Miles needs to show he is able to fight and survive, otherwise, Peter isn’t willing to let the kid cast his life away. Simultaneously… Miles helps Peter grow. Peter was afraid of having kids. Of being a father and a mentor. The amount someone can lose in that position is terrifying, but in his fear, he broke MJ’s heart. Miles kindles a courage and a newfound dedication and drive in Peter B Parker. He’s able to succeed after feeling like everything that was good in his life has been ruined by his failings. It’s a sweet story of a begrudging mentor and an uncertain rookie both helping each other grow. And it’s very satisfying. Plus they are genuinely hilarious together. 
    • The rest of the cast is also genuinely fun and creative. Whether it is an anime-style rep in Peni Parker, the competent and likable Gwen who is afraid of making connections, or the wondrously funny Nicolas Cage voiced Spider Noir.
  • Antagonists (7): The Prowler and Doc Ock shine for me in this. The Prowler's reveal has such a great, shocking feel. This is definitely accentuated by the score (a common theme when reviewing this movie)! I also liked that his criminal career was hinted at earlier with offhanded statements by Miles' dad about how he and his brother saw things differently when it came to his career as a police officer. Then we get Doc Ock. Maaaaaaaaaaan I am a sucker for her design. I like how we get little glimpses of her being this quirky scientist studying multiverse theories. While I am always a fan of classic visions of characters, Doc Ock now being Olivia Octavius might be my favorite version of the villain. She is competent, snarky, and intimidating. I love how sinister her initial reveal is. Heck, I love that her normal outfit has octagon glasses. Most of her fight scenes are so fun to watch as you can see each arm working seamlessly in a flurry of attacks and positioning. Fisk is also interesting. While I struggle to wrap my head around his design (sure... it looks *interesting* as it looms into shots), I do appreciate how he isn't just doing this all for greed. It made him more layered without trying to justify his evil actions. As far as the other villains... I didn't like Osborn's Goblin design. I much prefer the glider. I also felt that Scorpion came across as pretty silly... especially with his final defeat being mostly just a gag. Sadly Doc Ock's defeat was also turned into a slapstick joke. I didn't like that. 
  • Themes/Depth (8): I've covered a lot of the major themes of the film in the discussion of the protagonists. Themes of confidence, calling, connection, fatherhood, mentorship... all of these are melded well into the script. There is also a core theme that "Anyone could wear the mask". While in a way I feel like this has been taken literally in this film (and has somewhat diminished the iconography of Peter Parker as Spider-Man), the sentiment that anyone can pursue the spark inside them to do good in the world. To be heroic. To be self-sacrificing. To be kind. To be like Spider-Man. That's a theme I can get behind.
  • Uplifting (8): Miles' triumphant first swings bring me so much happiness. He and his father connecting in the sweet final hug is both adorable and heart-warming.
  • Tension (6): This is a multiverse film. My brain cannot help but constantly remember that each Spider-Person in this film is in some way a spin-off of the first Spider-Man comics. Everyone here may have dozens if not hundreds of alternate versions of themselves. This makes it hard to feel worried for them. Also, while there are two notable character deaths, I never felt particularly worried for the core cast members. When Fisk slams Miles, I just couldn't feel convinced that this film would kill him. Still, this is a pretty minor complaint! Not every great story needs to be tense. I actually think this is one element that the second film does better. 
  • Pacing/Length (8): The pacing is quite snappy. With great visuals and fun humor (plus the creative comic-book style intros), this film moves through its story at a nice click. I will say the gap in time between the reveal of who the Prowler is and his tragic death feels abruptly short. Still, overall this film is consistently engaging and definitely uses its screen time well. 
  • Emotional Resonance (7): I would say the moments that hit the best as far as making me strongly feel something are Miles' first leap of faith and the city reacting to the death of the OG Peter Parker. The musical that accompanies these scenes is stupendous. Now, there is a part of me that can't fully respect killing off Peter because this is a multiverse film... so we can (and do) get an alternate version of him. This severely lessens the blow. However, I still do love how this film can flex its stunning visuals and score to make my heart pound with excitement or break in sadness. 
  • Destination Clarity (9): This film is a hero's journey. We go in hoping Miles will rise to the occasion. We hope he will save the day. We hope he will reconcile and connect more deeply with his family. We hope he and his mentor will achieve their goals even if they are both afraid. This film plants those seeds and then lets them flourish.
  • Consistency (8): The only inconsistent feeling parts of this story come from some of the more gag-heavy elements. Peter Porker is a bit much for me. The fight in Aunt May's home also feels really weirdly off. It is cramped and has a ton of characters locked in combat at once, but the setting and lighting are strikingly mundane in a film that is otherwise utterly stunning. I don't know. It feels like a shame to have a Doc Ock heavy fight and it not be impactful or particularly interesting. The whole scene just feels chaotic... like background noise for the much more intense moment shared between Miles and his uncle.

Quality Notes:


As usual, I will start with what didn't work for me.

Bleh. There is one joke that I really don't care for. That being Porker's "You got a problem with cartoons?" gag. I get it. As an animation fan, I get annoyed when the medium is treated as though it is somehow subpar. Treated as though live action is inherently superior. But I did not feel like this joke landed. It took me out of the film and sorta made the creators look kind of petty and bitter!

It must also be said that this film does inherently dilute Spider-Man. It is the classic issue of replicating your powerful, cool, unique character. Suddenly they seem less powerful, less cool, less unique. We see this in plenty of genres. It is why I am glad Toothless remained the last Night Fury. It also is an issue in that you have a superhero film with a huge cast of heroes and villains, and most of the heroes fight identically and have extremely similar power sets. It does hurt your combat diversity. Finally, in a bigger picture sense, all of this makes Peter Parker feel less unique. This is an industry-wide problem in comics and superheroes. When you start making spin-offs (War Machine), gender/race swaps (Thor, Captain America), or remakes you inherently make the original AND your new creation slightly less unique and interesting. It isn't that it can never work. I actually like Miles a lot in this movie. But it is a trend that leads to creative stagnation and I believe can harm the legacy of beloved characters and hamstring the remakes who are building off of that legacy.

To hit the highlights of what works for me.

Peni's animation style makes me incredibly happy. Ha. I love how she has a lower frame rate and so many little anime tropes. From the sparkling eyes to having her own tragic anime death scene with her robot. Genuinely she was a ton of fun. Spider-Noir was also pretty fun. I liked how the portal back home exploded in black and white when he returned to his own universe. It was a pretty neat aesthetic. Plus Nicolas Cage is fun in that type of role.

Another side note is how this film encouraged artistic boldness in 3D CG animated films. I have really appreciated seeing other studios follow in these footsteps. It isn't like this film was the first to really push a 2D/3D integrated look. Actually, the Kung Fu Panda series had done that in a gorgeous manner many years before. But this film definitely kickstarted a great trend in animation. I am confident gems like Puss in Boots: The Last Wish didn't settle for normal, pretty, realistic CG and instead went for its more storybook-painting art style in part because of the success of this film.

Final Personal Score: 10/10 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Score: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (2018)

With the sequel having been released this year, I wanted to go back and review an animated film that absolutely blew me away back in 2018. T...